OSIM-AHS - 9264
Keywords intelligent metering
Start Date: 01-JAN-94 / Duration: 12 months
[ contact / participants ]
The OSIM-AHS project aims to provide an OMI-compatible intelligent meter prototype capable of operating in the near-real user exploitation environment.
A comprehensive feasibility study is required in order to first evaluate the critical aspects of OSIM-AHS from both a technology and business point of view. The results will help validate the benefits of the OMI open system concept and application-specific microprocessors in the field of intelligent metering, and to provide a set of competitive and state-of-the-art technologies for a large range of industrial sectors (utility companies, meter producers, software developers and IC designers).
The specific objectives are to:
- develop a clear understanding of user requirements and gain insights into the key system functionalities and performances of major product segments (electricity, gas, water, domestic appliances and other household equipment) and of national markets in Europe
- anticipate the competitive environment, and in particular the product and service strategies of major players(both European and non-European)
- evaluate the likely social and economic impacts of intelligent metering in Europe
- identify and assess the actions needed to foster the development of the targeted markets
- define product concepts and specify the key characteristics of a future OMI-compatible intelligent meter (system functionalities, technologies, communications, application-specific electronics and field-trial sites)
- identify relationships with international standards and recommend, where applicable, the use of specific Esprit and European standards
- disseminate the achievements of the project
- involve the main European users and meter manufacturers (EDF, IBERDROLA) in the second phase of the project
- recommend an R&D approach for OMI in this field, including the definition of a suitable consortium to carry out the subsequent developments of OSIM-AHS.
Further information about OSIM-AHS is available from the
OSIM-AHS home page.
Mr Roberto Tordable
Avd. Juana de Austria Km 8,7
E - 28019 Madrid
tel: + 34 / 1-797-2400
fax: + 34 / 1-798-4502
ALCATEL SESA - E - C
ELECTRICIDADE DE PORTUGAL - P - P
MIETEC - B - P
INESC - P - P
UNIVERSIDADE DE AVEIRO - P - P
OSIM-AHS - 9264, December 1993
please address enquiries to the ESPRIT Information Desk
html version of synopsis by Nick Cook