TECPAD - 8793
Keywords multimedia, portable assistants
Start Date: To be announced / Duration: 24 months
[ contact / participants ]
TECPAD aims at increasing the competitiveness of the European multimedia IT industry by:
- Facilitating the use of electronic manuals.
- Promoting the concept of Information To Go, a paradigm for use of portable IT assistants. Information To Go embeds the idea of carrying large amounts of information on the road and using them without the physical limits of existing hardware. The goal is to be able to access information anywhere, just like one would do with a notepad.
- Creating a European forum where some of the major telecommunication equipment providers and users can establish common understandings on electronic documentation.
- Encouraging the use of highly portable tools capable of handling multimedia.
In particular, the project will produce three main products:
- A specification of a common standard for telecommunication O&M procedures; this standard comprises both a vendor independent structure, as how to logically organise O&M procedures, and a platform independent interchange format for O&M procedures.
- A set of tools to effectively produce electronically accessible O&M documentation, the tool set will specifically support the creation and maintenance of hyperlinks within technical documentation.
- A set of tools to browse O&M procedures in an electronic from on Personal Digital Assistants.
TECPAD aims at providing tools to increase quality, efficiency, productivity, and reliability of operation and maintenance (O&M) procedures performed by technicians in the field. Much effort has been produced by software manufacturers to provide multi-platform solutions for technical documentation. However, solutions provided by each vendor are proprietary and tie closely customer, software, and data to the delivery platform. The appearance on the market of new platform (such as Personal Digital Assistants) or the need by the user for a different UI paradigm requires a major overhaul of the technical documentation in electronic form.
TECPAD proposes an approach to strongly decrease this dependency. The first objective of TECPAD is to define a common format for Operation and Maintenance procedures to allow the data and its meaning one of the real assets of technical documentation, to be truly multi-platform and independent of the presentation. The second objective is to provide software primitives to display O&M procedure on several platforms including Windows and selected Personal Digital Assistants. The issues addressed in TECPAD include:
- a common format for O&M documentation, expressed using SGML, that is independent of the equipment and of the delivery platform
- a paradigm for storing and retrieving technical documentation and O&M procedures
- how to produce versions of technical documentation and O&M procedures for a variety of delivery platforms that encompass different UI paradigms.
TECPAD will produce:
- a specification of user requirements for O&M procedures
- a proposal for a common standard for O&M procedures for the largest TLC providers in Europe
- a methodology to develop O&M procedures
- authoring tools for O&M
- tools to provide an environment to convert O&M procedures from a standard format into PDA and form existing production formats to the common format.
Dr Giuseppe Cerboni
S.S. 148 Pontina Km. 29.100
I - 00040 Pomezia (Roma)
SIDAC - I - C
ITALTEL SISTEMI - I - P
EUROCLID - F - P
SIEMENS - D - P
SIP - I - P
ALCATEL BELL TELEPHONE - B - P
TECPAD - 8793, December 1993
please address enquiries to the ESPRIT Information Desk
html version of synopsis by Nick Cook