HDPE-II - 7503
Keywords technology transfer, ASICs, SMEs, Greece
Start Date: 01-JAN-93 / Duration: 36 months
[ contact / participants ]
Objectives and Approach
The VLSI-DPE Action launched at the end of 1990 was the first phase of a 3-year project aimed at establishing a VLSI design prototyping environment in Greece.
The objectives of the second phase are to:
- establish Greek participation in JESSI-related activities
- enhance the design environment by extending it into mixed analogue/digital design and testing
- enlarge the number of industrial participants/users of advanced microelectronics, by including five more companies. The first phase of the Special Action emphasised VLSI design aspects, consolidating existing know-how (mainly at the universities), acquiring technology, setting up special courses for industry, and implementing the acquired technology for the design of industrial prototypes. The four companies involved in the first phase underwent their first experience of VLSI design.
From April 1992 the consortium has also been receiving funds from the STRIDE programme, mainly for setting up prototyping facilities at the Demokritos Research Centre and for establishing a design coordination centre (Intracom acts as the interface to industry, and the University of Patras provides technical support).
This second phase will focus on:
- participation in JESSI-related activities, including the acquisition and testing of the JESSI Common Framework, which may be used as the basic environment for the design coordination centre
- acquisition of know-how for VLSI testing and mixed analogue/digital design, in order to enhance the design environment and so increase the ability of Greek industry to participate in other activities
- continuation of work on awareness and training, with the eventual involvement of more companies in the design and realisation of their first VLSI circuits. As a result of a call for proposals eight more SMEs are now involved in the project.
The Action has already established links or plans to interact with the following ESPRIT projects or actions: QUICKCHIPS (5047), IDPS (5075), EVEREST (2318), and EUROCHIP (3700/6573).
Mr S. Blionas
19.5 KM Markopoulou Avenue
PO Box 68
GR - 19002 PEANIA ATTIKI
tel: + 30 / 1-664-4961
fax: + 30 / 1-664-4379
telex: 214087 INTR
INTRACOM SA - GR - C
UNIVERSITY OF PATRAS - GR - P
UNIVERSITY OF ATHENS - GR - P
NCSR DEMOKRITOS - GR - P
HDPE-II - 7503, December 1993
please address enquiries to the ESPRIT Information Desk
html version of synopsis by Nick Cook